Sign up for our newsletter! Follow:
Slam Poem: Saul WIlliams - "Indigo On"
Guest post by Taylor Mali!
I never got to see Saul Williams perform during the preliminary bouts leading up to the finals, so watching this video was a glimpse into a past I never knew. There are wonderful lines and plays on words here, and Saul works with sound so well. There is a sense of humor, too, which is so important in spoken word. The crowd is small from the sound of it, but they are into it.
It's interesting to note that the piece is too long by "modern" slam standards. The poem itself clocks in at about 3:25, which would have merited a full point deduction under the current rules, but probably didn't hurt Saul back when judges were merely advised that they "could deduct points if the poem went over the time limit." Historically, with such vague instructions, judges NEVER penalized long poems! That's essentially why the rule was changed and time penalties became automatic.
And check out Taylor Mali here!
- 2014 Tribeca Film Festival Winners Include 'Zero Motivation,' 'Point and Shoot' and more
- Five Minutes With a Very Busy Corey Stoll at the Tribeca Film Festival
- “A Tiny Drop of Dew”: Journey to the West at the Tribeca Film Festival
- 10 Films We're Excited To See At This Year's Hot Docs
- 5 Daily Tech Stories that Filmmakers (and Film Fans) Must Read: Fandango Twitter Ticketing, Kickstarter Film Festival and More