Sign up for our newsletter! Follow:
Music Video: The Blasés - "You Don't Know Me"
Posted by Paul Devlin:
The summer after I made Rockin’ Brunswick, I hooked up with The Blasés again to shoot this video on 16mm film all over New Jersey, and then brought it back to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor to edit.
We had a lot of fun making it and I think it shows. I love the color and the energy and the serendipity of two very different wedding parties finding their way into our shoot.
We managed to get the video played on MTV’s Basement Tapes, a weekly competition for unsigned bands, hosted by Martha Quinn. That week the guest host was Billy Crystal, and as our video finished, the camera caught him saying to Martha as an aside, “Ooh, I really like that one.”
A heavy metal band with a lot of special effects in their video won the audience voting award. The Blasés were disappointed not to win the recording equipment prize, but it was still a coup for us all to get a video on MTV during its heyday when we were still in college.
To see more from The Blasés, get the DVD of Rockin’ Brunswick here!
- 6 Reasons These Cannes Cinderella Stories Have Happy Endings
- Cannes Review: Martian Zombies and Liev Schreiber Can't Quite Salvage 'Last Days on Mars'
- Project of the Day: A Documentary Explores the Relationship of Two American Filmmakers: Richard Linklater and James Benning
- Canadian Web Series Creators Organize
- Watch: The Red Band Trailer for Horror Anthology Sequel 'V/H/S/2' Offers More Lo-fi Scares