Sign up for our newsletter! Follow:
Music Video - Fury in the Slaughterhouse - "Every Generation got its own Disease"
Posted by Paul Devlin:
This song by a popular German band was a hit in its day, and played a lot on MTV. But the real star was the director of this video, Doug Aitken. He went on to become a major visual artist, exhibiting his work in top museums worldwide.
I did both the offline and online edit and it was a thrill to work with Doug, whose task was to make an American version of the original German music video. Many of the visual effects he achieved in-camera shooting himself with a 16mm Bolex. For example, he purposely threaded the film incorrectly to achieve the "flutter" effect in some of the images. He was also very open to my experimenting on the edit which was a lot of fun.
FOOTNOTE: This was back in the day when Avid was new, Final Cut Pro didn't exist and many non-linear systems were vying for acceptance. For a freelancer, the more systems you knew, the more work you could get. This was off-line edited on an Emc². Anyone remember that one? It was left in the dustbin of non-linear history.
- Tribeca Review: Powerful 'Among the Believers' Reveals the Origins of Religious Extremism
- Tribeca Review: 'Orion: The Man Who Would Be King' is Mysterious and Depressing
- Top Three Subjects Vie for DirecTV's 'Next Great American Documentary'
- Academy Award-Winning Costumer Designer Catherine Martin on Working with Husband Baz Luhrmann
- Kino Lorber Acquires Award-Winning Mexican Feature 'Güeros'