Sign up for our newsletter! Follow:
Freestyle - "Juice" (11 of 14)
Posted by Paul Devlin:
One of the most talented hip hop artists ever, Juice’s rhymes are stunning. Written or Free? You decide.
The Making of Freestyle (continued)
Kevin Fitzgerald’s passion for hip hop sometimes created tension between him and the producer Henry-Alex Rubin and myself. Kevin was all about the integrity of the complete performance. Henry and I were all about structure, pace and story. We felt it was our job to make the material accessible, Kevin felt it was his job to honor the performers and their performance. One time, the night before submitting to a crucial festival, Kevin re-edited the movie without telling us, including dropping in a 3-minute freestyle into the midst of a very tightly structure sequence, building to a climactic battle. Luckily we caught the change before the cut went out, and convinced Kevin that the sequence should be restored. Often Henry and I felt that we had to fend off Kevin for his own good.
- ‘The Magicians’’ Grand, Expensive Musical Tribute to ‘Les Miserables’ Won’t Be Its Last
- MPAA Report Says Non-White Audiences are Growing, While Women Drive Blockbusters
- 7 Films New to Netflix to Watch In April, Including ‘Kubo and the Two Strings’ and ‘Casting JonBenet’
- Bobby Farrelly Outlines His Problem With Modern Comedy: People Are ‘Thin Skinned’ and ‘Sensitive’
- ‘Teachers’: Why Six Bold Women Named Katie Aren’t Afraid to Get Ugly for Great Comedy